Data visualisation competition
Australian Population Studies is pleased to announce a demographic data visualisation competition. The winner will receive a prize of $500, kindly donated by Geografia Pty Ltd, one of Australia’s leading analytics and data visualisation consulting firms. Entries should consist of one or two innovative and thought-provoking visualisations of data relating to Australia’s population. Up to 750 words of accompanying text should describe the key points of the data visualisation, how it was created, and what data were used. The closing date for entries is 1st June 2018.
Entries will be judged on their originality, effectiveness in communicating the data visually, artistry and attractiveness, and their usefulness to readers. The judging panel consists of Dr Tom Wilson, Dr Kevin Johnson (Geografia), Professor Jonathan Corcoran, and Dr Elin Charles Edwards. The winner and runners-up will be announced at the Australian Population Association conference in Darwin to be held at the Darwin Convention Centre from 18th to 20th July 2018.
1. Data visualisations must relate to Australia’s population.
2. The competition is open to anyone from anywhere in the world.
3. Visualisations must not have appeared publicly anywhere before (in a journal, blog, website, or in any other form).
4. Any source, and any combination, of population data is permitted. All data sources used must be fully credited.
5. Entries must be submitted to the journal in the form of an Australian Population Studies DemoGraphic. Please see the submission guidelines for DemoGraphics at: http://www.australianpopulationstudies.org/index.php/aps/about/submissions.
6. The deadline for submissions is 3 pm Northern Territory time on 1st June 2018.
7. Data visualisations created by the winner and runners-up will be published in the journal. Visualisations must therefore be suitable for publication in the journal’s A4 size pages.
8. The decision of the judging panel is final.